Message From The Sheriff
CHAD BARKER  ( read  )
Emergency: 911
24 Hrs Non-Emergency:
Law Enforcement Office:
Tax Office:
Crime Tips:
206 Court Street, Ste. 200
Madison, WV 25130
Administrative Office Hours:
Law Enforcement Office:
M-F 8am - 4pm
Tax Collection Office:
M-F 8am - 4pm
Concealed Carry

One of the duties of the Sheriff’s in West Virginia is to issue Concealed Carry Weapon Permits.


Process to get a concealed carry permit:

  • Take a handgun safety course by a certified instructor and receive your handgun safety certificate.
  • Fill out application which can be found in the Sheriff’s Tax office or on the West State Police website under the forms and links tab.
  • Bring your application along with your handgun safety course certificate and a valid photo ID to the Sheriff’s Tax Office. At this time you will be required to pay a processing fee of $75. (The Tax Office can notarize your application if needed.)
  • Once the application has been turned in the process takes approximately 2-3 weeks to complete but could take up to 45 days by State law.
  • Once you have been approved for your concealed carry permit, you will receive a letter in the mail, you may then come to the Tax Office, pay the $10 fee for your regular


  • How long does it take to get concealed carry permit? 

It generally take 2 to 3 weeks to receive your permit. State law allows up to 45 days for the issuance of the permits. Although we strive to get the permits out much quicker than 45 days, we ask for your patience as all the necessary background checks and processing are completed.


  • Where do I turn in my concealed weapon application? 

A Completed copy of your concealed weapon application may be submitted in the Sheriff’s Tax Office located on the 1st floor of the Boone County Courthouse 200 State Street Madison, WV 25130.

Please do not forget to bring in a copy of your handgun safety class, a valid government issued ID and $75


  • Does my military background substitute for a handgun course?

If you have a DD-214 specifically states “hand gun training” then it will suffice


Additional Questions may be addressed to Kathy DeHart @ 304-369-7342